Sunday, January 23, 2011

$2,000 Paperweight

My mother has been bugging me to show her what I learned in Loren Stump's course in Corning last week. Loren was overwhelming and awesome, but I was simply treading water the whole time. I was "exposed" to a variety of techniques which I hope to incorporate into my own toddler pieces if my studio ever warms up.

Usually I bring home lots of products for show and tell, but this time I only had a few unfinished and broken objects which even left my long-suffering husband perplexed. Fortunately, there was still one thing which I had to leave behind in the kiln to cool while I returned to Hillsborough- the paperweight! It arrived in the mail on Thursday and, although imperfect, looks a heck of a lot better than anything else I have.

I should call this a collaborative effort between Loren and me since he rescued me during construction more times than I care to remember. While I was making it, I swore I would never attempt another paperweight, but if anyone has the $2K I paid to be able to make this one, I will gladly surrender custody and take another course.

The paperweight measures around 2inches in diameter.



No comments:

Post a Comment